The resources in this section are provided to assist schools in helping to better understand and manage the provision of Technical Support in the school. The main resource is the Technical Support Requirements Document. Additional resources/links will be added over the coming weeks.
Technical Support Requirements Document
This is a template document that a school can modify to it's own needs and then send to prospective providers, seeking quotes to provide technical support to their school. It achieves this in 7 main ways.
- It helps the school quantify and review the current level of ICT infrastructure in the school.
- It provides a process to prioritise what are the main ICT elements in the schools that require external support.
- It helps the school to define what level and priority of technical support is required for various elements.
- It helps to identify areas that may not require local technical support as they are supported via other means (eg. Schools Broadband, ICT Equipment purchased with its own warranty etc.).
- It helps the school find a balance between what the school can support from it's own resources and where additional external technical support is required.
- It sets an expectation as to what level of service is required (eg remote support (in addition to a call out service) is recommended by NCTE as an important and cost effective aspect of the service).
- As all technical support companies must quote based on a common set of requirements it should simplify the evaluation of their responses.
Schools should keep track of ICT equipment, warranties, licensing etc in the school. A simple equipment spreadsheet is provided to help in tracking and updating these details.